Birth and Death Certificates
Call (573) 636-2181 from 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Mon - Fri)
You may obtain a birth certificate for yourself or a family member if you were born anywhere in the state of Missouri after 1920. The fee is $15.00 each; all forms of payment accepted.
You may obtain a death certificate if the deceased passed away anywhere in Missouri after 1980. The fee is $13.00 for the first copy, $10.00 for additional copies obtained at that time. All forms of payment accepted.
How to Obtain Certificates
In person - Same day service is available to walk-in customers. Complete an application and pay the required fee by cash, check, or money order. Applicants Must Show Identification When Requesting Certified Copies of a vital record.
Primary Documents (One document is required)
- A state issued driver’s license that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A state issued identification card that includes a photograph, date of birth
- A current U.S. military identification card that includes a photograph
- A U.S. passport with current photograph
- A current school identification card/document showing applicant’s name, photograph, and date of school year
- Work identification card that includes the applicant’s name, photograph, and company name
- School yearbook
- A W-2 form issued within last year in addition to a signed Social Security card (social security numbers must match)
- Social Security card or Social Security printout (print out of an applicant’s Social Security account of activities)
- Court certified adoption papers that includes adopted parent(s) name
- Official certified deeds or title to property
- Certificate of vehicle title or registration documents
- Proof of auto insurance
- Insurance policy (health, home, life, etc.)
- Medicaid/Medicare document or identification card
- A payroll stub that includes a Social Security number of applicant (cannot be handwritten stubs)
- Military discharge document (DD-214)
- Cancelled duplicate check (must show name, address, signature, and name of institution)
- Utility bills which shows name and address of applicant (water, gas, electric, telephone)
- Shelter name band (including name of shelter)
By Mail - Certificates can be obtained through the mail and are normally sent out the same day that applications are received.
Mail-in Requests Must Be Notarized by an Acceptable Notary Public
Please mail your completed application/request form for birth or death certification along with a stamped self-addressed envelope, and a check or money order (payable to Cole County Health Department) to:
Cole County Health Department
1616 Industrial Drive
Jefferson City, MO 65109
Click on PDF icon for the request form.
|DISCLAIMER The Cole County Health Department provides the content of this website for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice.
Page Last Updated: June 2011